D415, re-texture, turntable

Hi,

I use demo version with one Realsense D415 with turntable (30 sec/turn) and have some questions:

1. after reconstruction (pg7a.jpg) I click on “re-texture” and get (pg7aTexturing.jpg) the image that is placed on the modelling is better (sharper), but not correct (two faces). How can i avoid that? Can anyone give me some advice to get or configure a good texture?

2. I want to use the scanned person as a character for iClone 3D animation in obj format.
    I get the sample www.recfusion.net/downloads/samples/D415_person.zip (Total tris: 422505).
    Can I have the sample with less tris (max. 100000)?

Best regards,

Gyoergy

In this case the tracking does not seem to have worked well, which causes the texturing issues. Please make sure that there is no movement of the person during the scan and that the reconstruction FPS is at least 12.
There’s a mesh decimation option in post-processing which you can use to reduce the mesh resolution. Re-texturing needs to be done after decimation.

Dear Gyoergy (@pgyoergy),

I have a very similar problem. I am also utilizing a turntable 30 sec/turn and want to use the scan exactly for the same purpose as you - Character for iClone 3D (.obj format). Only difference is that I am utilizing 3 Intel Realsense D435 sensors.

Could you please let me know if @ladikos tips supported you in solving the issue? I would be very grateful if you could share some details, in case you managed to make it work.

Thank you and kind regards,
Murilo

Dear Murilo,

I did tests with different people but unfortunately that doesn’t work with live people (turntable 30 sec/turn). Each people always moved a little.
Just work only with object bit.
I made tests with Kinect and Microsoft 3D Scan software but the result is the same.
Result: this method is not suitable for live scanning of people.

Best regards,

Gyoergy

Dear Gyoergy @pgyoergy,

Thank you for the feedback, and I am sad to hear about your outcome. Would you mind sharing with me which laptop you were using (if you had an external GPU, the specifications of it), and which FPS you obtained during the scanning process?

Thank you and kind regards,
Murilo

Dear Murilo,

My Laptop: Dell Precision 7750, Intel(R) Core™ i7-10850H CPU @ 2.70-5.10 GHz, 32,0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro x64
NVIDIA Quatro RTX 3000 16 GB
Scanning:
Depth format: 1280x720 @ 30 fps
Color format: 1280x720 (RGB24) @ 30 fps

I don’t know what we’re doing wrong and how other users get better results.
www.recfusion.net/downloads/samples/D415_person.zip
It would be nice: to get an answer from the software developer.

Best regards,

Gyoergy