Draw Contour Label export question

Hi,

When using the “draw contour” tool, does the label distinguish between the outline and the surface when exported?

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

Could you be more specific, I don’t think I fully understand the question. To clarify how the tool works, after the shape is drawn and accepted, it is transformed into a per-pixel segmentation.
So after exporting the data, there is no longer access to the control points of the contour you drew, only to the individual pixel values.

Hi,
Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question.
I am trying use the tool for bone segmentation using ultrasound images, and I really just wanted to highlight the surface of the bone. According to your explanation after export I would get a surface. Do you think i should keep using the contour tool and make sure that I contour the surface only, or should I just use the brush?

Thanks again for your help.

Labelling a surface can indeed be a difficult task with the brush, it’s often much easier to target a volume instead. It’s hard to give a recommendation of which tool is better for which task, as it depends on how noisy the image is, which part you want to annotate and how precise you it to be.
As for ‘draw contour’ vs ‘brush’, in the end the type of result is the same: what you see on the image (the annotated part) is what you get, the only relevant difference is the shape of the annotation, not how it was made.
It’s also a tradeoff of how much time each tool takes to produce a good annotation, and how accurate it is. This is a decision that you have to make.

The only advice I can give is to try both tools and be aware of their strengths and weaknesses, and to find a good workflow for your use-case.

Thank you very much for your answer! I’ll definitely try them both and take it from there.

Thank you for help,
Jonathan