2D ultrasound to 3D MRI registration

Hello everyone! I would like to know if it is possible to register a 2D ultrasound brain image (dicom or png format) to a 3D MRI volume? The 2D US images are not sweeps, they are static images. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Well, with single images this is hard to impossible, but if you have multiple ones, and ideally also know the relative pose between them, it’s definitely possible. You could try the SliceToVolumeRegistration in our framework.

Best,
Oliver

Dear Oliver, Thanks for your reply. Intraoperative ultrasound is a crucial aspect of our brain tumor surgeries at our center, and we’ve seen considerable benefits from using the basic 2D non-navigated ioUS, as evident in our published work [PMID: 35438272; PMID: 33669989; PMID: 33604286, PMID: 33594589; PMID: 33259973; PMID: 31790843; https://doi.org/10.1101/2023.06.01.23290675; PMID: 33932930]

I am now intrigued by fusion/registration techniques for research purposes, and I came across your company’s software as a potential solution. I wonder if you or your colleagues could lend a hand in conducting experiments to fuse ioUS images with MRI volumes using the demo version I’m currently testing.

Your assistance in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Santiago,

unfortunately the Base ImFusion Suite Demo, which you are currently testing, lacks the capabilities you need to perform this kind of registration (Slice to Volume). I will contact you, regarding giving you access to the demo version of 3D Ultrasound Suite.

Julia